Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thawing out

   

The Osprey is not to be reckoned with.  It has been known to pick up unsuspecting would be hikers, carry them for miles, and drop them, flailing feet and all to a not so soft landing, sometimes (most the time) very far from home. 

The weather is clearing.  Snow has turned to water, making mud, and creating ideal break-in-new pack conditions.  Lame that I've packed up all my gear for a short hike right by my house?  Maybe, but the Osprey is convincing and persistent.  It will not be fooled by balled up sweatshirts, and or aerobic weights.  It must sense the gear inside is real.  Plus I've been dying to look at my old camping stuff for months now.  Nichole watched me, silent and somewhat grim I thought.  So what if I walk through the neighborhood to the trail? She was disappointed that I declined the mask she offered me that would protect us from possible neighborhood shame.  Maybe, but a guy with a full loaded pack is suspicious enough.  Add a mask to that scenerio and the SWAT team would probably tackle me ten steps out the door (possibly damaging gear/pack).  She watched me go, contemplating this, and sending up a silent prayer that neighbors would be sleeping in.  After a three mile stroll, with no injuries, and the overwhelming feeling of joy that follows from doing something you love, I stumbled in door and contemplated the amazing joy that Spring brings. 

1 comment:

White Family said...

Calm down there buddy....it's only the beginning of March. We still have a few more snow storms. Besides, you would have one bitter angry boss.